Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Water Seeker

"Shoot dang!" If you are looking for one of the best historical fiction books written this year, look no further than The Water Seeker by Kimberly Willis Holt.

I have been thinking over twelve hours on this book...on just how to tell you about it so I could get it right. I even had a long conversation with my ten-year-old daughter about it in the pool this afternoon. I still can't put my thoughts together. I am in awe of the story!

Let me just say that it has been a while since I have read a book as heart-wrenching as this one. Amos, the main character, must endure so many trials that I truly felt this boy deep down in my bones. Perhaps it was my motherly instincts that kicked in and wanted to provide Amos with so much that he didn't have. More likely, it was Ms. Holt's storytelling that took me away to Amos's world in the 1800's.

The Water Seeker takes place over the course of twenty-six years beginning before Amos is even born in 1833. Once Amos comes into the story, the heartbreak begins, and Amos's story of misfortune and fortune is told.

I found the characters very real in this book. I am still thinking about Jake and Rebecca and Jameson and Blue Owl and Daisy and Homer and Finn and Rebecca..and yes, even Delilah. I met friends in this book and found some enemies as well. I felt as though I 'lived' a while with Amos.

All my ramblings aside, this is a fantastic story of love and loss, of the growing of a young boy into a man.

Please go get this one from the library...it is that good! Then come back and post some comments on what this post should really say about The Water Seeker!

Happy Reading!
Mrs. T :)

P.S. Reading is like breathing chocolate air!

No comments:

Post a Comment