Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Unfinished Angel


"Sometimes a people needs an angel and sometimes an angel needs a people."

Hokay! Hokay! I am not a professional book reviewer. I am simply a teacher who loves reading and recommending the best books to her students in the hopes of instilling a lifelong love of reading in each of them. So let me tell you about a specialful book that may just do exactly that...

I am impressified by Sharon Creech's newest book, The Unfinished Angel. It is intrigueful!


High in the stone tower of Casa Rosa in the southern part of Switzerland lives a swishing angel. "Me, I am an angel. I am supposed to be having all the words in all the languages, but I am not. Many are missing."

The angel in Casa Rosa does not seem to have a special assignment. The angel thinks she (or he!) may be unfinished, an unfinished angel.

This all changes when Zola appears in the angel's tower. Zola is "skinny like a twig-tree, with hair chip-chopped in a startling way." Zola comes to the village with Mr. Pomodoro who wants to create a harmonious school for all nationalities of children.

Meanwhile, Zola asks the angel for help. There are children in an ancient barn--"skinny and hungry and dirty...extremely tragical." Zola wants the angel to DO something.


Sharon Creech is a master of playing with language. The mishmasheroni of delightfully poetic words in this story is a treasure! Is really!

My favorite chapter has to be "What is Time?" It is too funny! "...compulsive...propulsive...obsessive...seconds, pinutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades, and sentries...tick-tock...whoosh there goes two seconds..." and the "creak creak creak crickle creak BURPLE BURP"! Everything is happening so quickful in this chapter that it not only makes the angel's mind spin but mine as well!

Then again, maybe my favorite chapter is "Lizards". As a mom, I can definitely relate to all the craziness going on in this chapter. After all, "It's just a normal night with childrens." HA!

Hmmm...I can't be making much sense here, but Sharon Creech makes perfect sense of all this in her story. Adulterinos and childrens will enjoy this read! Please go pick up the book and read it! I think you'll be gladful that you did.

As an author friend said to me recently, "I loaf this. I loaf this (book) very much!"

(Click HERE to go to the author's website.)

Happy Reading!
Mrs. T. :)

P.S. Reading is like breathing chocolate air!

No comments:

Post a Comment