Tuesday, March 30, 2010

All the Broken Pieces

"Matt Pin is haunted." He is airlifted out of Vietnam by an American helicopter during the Vietnam War. Matt's mom believes he will have a better life in America instead of war-ravaged Vietnam. Matt wonders why he has to leave his mother and little brother behind. Don't they love him?

Matt is adopted into an American family. His 'now mother' sings to him at night.

"You are safe, my precious child.
You are safe now, you are home.
We have found you and we love you.
You will never be alone."

His 'now father' plays catch with him, and Matt learns the game of baseball. Matt eve goes out for the team and makes it. But now Matt must confront other boys who do not treat him nicely because he is Vietnamese.

I had heard a lot about this book and had read some reviews. The one writing that really captured my attention, however, was a reading letter by one of my sixth graders. Brett wrote that this book was "...one of the best books I've read this year." Of course, I had to read it.

I enjoyed this story very much. I like to read novels written in verse, and this one did not disappoint. I felt for Matt and was saddened to hear his story, but I was also encouraged by the fact that at book's end, he seemed to find some healing for himself.

Author Ann E. Burg says, "Writing All the Broken Pieces was like listening and jotting things down, or sitting at a loom and weaving together the frayed, forgotten strands of history. Hoping to create something worthwhile, something like a healing quilt.

"Maybe that’s the best of what historical fiction does. Recreate a moment in history so that in remembering, we might find a way to heal the wounds."

Pick this one up. You won't be disappointed.

Happy Reading!
Mrs. T :)

P.S. Reading is like breathing chocolate air!

No comments:

Post a Comment