Monday, May 23, 2011

Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Mostly True Stories About Growing Up Scieszka


OMGoodness!

LOL!

ROFL!

Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Mostly True Stories About Growing Up Scieszka is hysterical! A must read if you like funny stories!

Jon Scieszka grew up with five brothers: Jim, Tom, Gregg, Brian, and Jeff. I can’t imagine what their household must have been like. Wait!! Yes, I can! Jon writes all about his childhood and growing up with five brothers in this collection.

Be sure to read:

"Roommates” – Where older brother Jim tries to sell Jon’s own shirt to him.

"Brother-Sitting” – Where the ‘Bad Boys’ Home’ is called.

"Car Trip” – Where readers will have a ‘puking’ good time!

"What’s So Funny, Mr. Scieszka” – Where Jon chooses his path.


“Cooking” - Where you will read the best first line: “I learned how to cook because I like to stir oatmeal more than I like to pick up dog poop.”

I also enjoyed “Random Reading” where I made a connection to Golden Book Encyclopedias…”Lesson From Dad” where there is a deeper meaning behind the story…and “Jon’s Side of the Mountain” where kids may realize that they need to get outdoors again instead of sitting in front of a computer or TV all day.


I will be sure to share this book with readers at the beginning of each school year. What a wonderful collection of stories-memoirs-for students.

Click HERE to visit Jon's website. Click HERE to visit Guys Read, a web-based literacy program for boys.

So…”Stop breathing my air!” and go check this one out from your library. It is worth your time to read.


Happy Reading!
Mrs. T

P.S. Reading is like breathing chocolate air!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting to Book Talk Tuesday this week! This book is a HUGE hit at my school- the 5th and 6th grade teachers use it as a biography choice. And I always use Guys Read- great resource!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete